Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Importance of Effective Communication

Hey guys.

In today’s world, I think that communication skills play a crucial role in determining the level of success people achieve.


To me, dealing with a conflict, motivating a team to get things done, expressing your opinion and understanding others’ opinion are the most important parts of effective non-written communication. Of course, ability to write well is essential too. These parts of communication will contribute the growth of any individual in the working world, don’t you think? Maybe, getting others to understand what you want them to, rather than exactly what you're thinking of is even more important at work.

Other than that, effective communication has proven to be of utmost importance in my daily life. Every other day, my father and I have a ‘friendly argument’. From what I have observed over the years, the argument is usually caused by a difference in understanding of the same situation. For example, me coming back home late immediately means (to my dad) that I went out shopping, then roam the streets and hence am extremely irresponsible. While the actual reason is that I was doing homework with my friend in school and then went out to eat dinner. The sad truth is that I still have no idea how to deal with this as efforts taken to try to explain have failed.

Coomunicating effectively to a different generation of people is hard but I'm sure it can be learnt.

And this is why, effective communication is so important to me.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Pavi!

    In fact, I also have 'friendly arguments' with my dad occasionally. As compared to my mum, my dad is less compromising and receptive of new ideas, especially when it comes from the younger generation.

    I agree with you that communicating effectively with a different generation is difficult, but at times, I wonder if you need two hands to clap. We might learn all the elements of effective communication, but what about the other party?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pavi!

    I had the same problem when I first came into Singapore to study,erm... about 7 years ago?
    My parents was always over-worried when I was out late, which I totally understand was caused by them being unfamiliar with the environment I was in.

    Eventually, I managed solve this issue by introducing them to my circle of friends when they visited me. I also brought them to orchard road where I usually hang out with my friends. Since then, they have been very understanding. I guess it's because they know what is going on, who i am going with, and thus, feel at ease. hehe...

    Maybe you can try that! Just some suggestion, hopefully can be useful. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Yong Feng. Sometimes, I would rather to be an 'active listerner' to avoid arguments.

    It is said that "Effective communication is all about conveying your messages to other people clearly and unambiguously". However, if the other party choose to hold on to his or her distorted preassumption instead of being open to my ideas, I would rather be just a receiver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pavi,

    Thank you for this clear concise discussion. I like the way you start this by addressing the issue generally then move on to the specific issue with your father, illustrating the importance of effective comm skills precisely for you.

    There are a few minor language problems:

    1) will contribute the growth >>> will contribute TO the growth

    2) that I went out shopping, then roam the... >>> that I went out shopping, then roamED the....

    3) and hence am extremely irresponsible. >>> Hence, in his opinion, I am extremely irresponsible.

    4) expressing your opinion >>> expressing one's opinion

    5) sentence fragment: " While the actual reason is that I was doing homework with my friend in school and then went out to eat dinner. " Do you see why?

    I appreciate your hard work and look forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey guys,

    Thanks for all the suggestions!

    Wow, I didnt't realise there were so many errors. Thanks for pointing them out, Brad!

    ReplyDelete